The soffit is the underside face of a roof overhang. (If you stand under the overhang and look up, you’re looking at the soffit.)
Fascia is the board nailed across the ends of the rafters at the eaves, and the face of roof gables. Usually is cladded by aluminum, called aluminum fascia.
ALUMINUM SOFFIT AND FASCIA
1. Featuring a unique V-design for extra strength and rigidity.
2. Is available in your choice of vented or plain style panels.
3. W Standard size: 16" W X 12' L.
4. Durable baked-on finish paint won’t blister, flake or peel.
5. Maintenance-free, long-lasting, variety of colours.
6. Are produced from material that is at least 90% recycled aluminum.
7. Eclipse Roofing LTD provides custom fascia bended on site to fit the size of fascia board.
The importance of vented soffit and ventilation process.
ICE DAMS WARNING
Ice dams are a common sight in Canada long cold winters, but is this normal?
Ice dams can be sign of serious problems with your roof system.
They can cause damage both in your roof, inside your home and anything it falls on.
HOW DO ICE DAMS FORM
Did you know that more than 30% of heat loss in the house loses through the roof.
As heat escapes from the living space through the ceiling insulation, the attic space gets warm enough to melt the bottom layers of snow on top of the roof.
When the water reaches the frigid air on the gutters freezes creating ice dams, which eventually grow as the water continue to flow.
WHAT DO THEY CAUSE
- The water to leak under the shingles
- The water can cause leak in the attic, soffit and exterior wall.
- As the ice dams grow up the roof, can lead to water backing up and leak into home causing water damage to walls, ceiling, floors, insulation and other areas.
- Ice dams formation can get very heavy and cause eavestrough falling, property damage, and even structural collapse.
- Icicle falling and ice formation on the ground can be a real safety hazard for the family and occupants.
- The water can damage the electrical wire, a serious risk of electrical shock and possible fire.
- They can also cause mold and moisture, an unhealthy environment in your home
HOW TO PREVENT ICE DAMS
Most of the heat loss through the ceiling is caused from the lack of insulation in the ceiling and attic, around chimney openings or electrical fixtures.
- Ventilate the attic through the vented soffit, allowing the heat to escape from ridged vent, roof vent or gable vents.
- Insulate the living space well to prevent heat loss through the ceiling.
- Insulate and seal the small light fixtures openings or other small openings in the attic area.
- Heating cables at the edge of the roof and leaf guards on eavestrough.