What is a rain barrel?
A rain barrel is a system used to collect and store rainwater from the roof of a home. The water harvested is soft, fresh water that can be used for a variety of purposes, including lawn and garden watering, topping off
pools, and washing cars. Rainwater harvesting helps to divert rain from storm drains, decrease the impact of runoff to streams, and minimize sewer overflows during heavy rainfalls.
Why use a rain barrel?
- 1. Conserve and store rainwater
- 2. Saves up to 40 % of domestic water usage during summer months
- 3. Saves up to 1500 gallons of water every year
- 4. Natural rain water has the pH level ideal for water and plant growth
- 5. Protects the environment
- 6. Lowers water bills